Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Observations & Reflections from Lesa

Today on the flight home, as we arrived in Memphis, the landscape was as beautiful without snow as arriving in Minnesota last Saturday was with snow!! The temperature was 66 degrees! Adam enjoyed our flights today better than last week, and Jo Ann was a little braver this time, agreeing to look out the window on occasion. Jessi was ready to get to Hartford to see her boyfriend. We were all thankful to de-ice! Of all of us, Hayden was probably the least ready to leave Litchfield. However, her tears have now dried up as she looks forward to catching up with other friends she’s been without for over a week.

Before going to Litchfield, we were told repeatedly that the Minnesota cold is “a different kind of cold.” I didn’t find that to be true. Cold is cold! I think perhaps the difference is that when you have to be out in it every day you simply come to accept it and grit your teeth and bear it. You just deal with it! That’s how it is. The temperatures might not be so bad if it wasn’t for the cutting wind! I’m thankful we got to experience the temps below zero; I’m also thankful that I don’t have to contend with that every day, day in and day out for months…the ice…the snow. I have a new appreciation for all of you who do. Especially those of you who supply my milk and other dairy products!

I found that getting ready every day required 10-15 extra minutes, or at least it did for me by the time I applied lotion and put on all of those layers. At home, I always shower twice a day. However, I found that in Minnesota it 1) dried my skin too much, and 2) was just too darned cold to fool with twice in one day except for ski day when I actually exerted energy other than just shivering!

I had heard the term “land of lakes” before, but never thought about what that meant. Now I know. I would love to see all of those lakes in the warmer months and ride the Waverunner. But I recall being told by Jennifer Becker on her last trip down that the lake temperatures are cold even in the warmer months; that’s why the Minnesotans don’t mind swimming in the gulf when they’re down in November. I now understand that there’s no time for the water to warm up considerably after being covered with two feet of ice for months!

The sunrise is later on the western side of the central time zone. There’s also fewer hours of sunshine, or at least that seemed true this week. The sunrises and sunsets were gorgeous overlooking all the white powder though!

The friendships we’ve established this week will be some of the best, longest lasting. My sorrow is that in all likelihood we won’t be seeing each other for years even though we can stay in touch by phone, mail, and electronically. The distance is the worst part about the program, although without it, the program wouldn’t exist.

I personally enjoyed this trip very much! It ranks among the most memorable, noteworthy of any I’ve ever made. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and visiting with everyone, not to mention having new experiences! Thanks to everyone in Hartford and Litchfield for the opportunity. My sincere, heart-felt thanks to everyone who had even the slightest participation in our adventure; I cannot find adequate words to express the way I feel. I become easily attached to people, and I thank you for being the kind of people I will never forget. Hopefully, I will get to visit with you all again, whether it be here or there. Until then…

No comments: